Oils and Butters: Natural Skincare Tips

12:34 PM

The older I get, the more I cringe when I see fine lines and wrinkles on my face. I'm telling you, those suckers pop up out of no where! A few years ago when I realized the big 40 was creeping closer, I decided to stop putting so many chemicals on my face and go a more natural route. What we put in and on our bodies has everything to do with how our bodies preserve themselves. Our cells aren't huge fans of chemicals, and a healthy body has to have healthy cells.



 To keep my skin healthy and glowing, I switched to mineral based and organic make ups. A few of my favorites are Juice Beauty and Bare Minerals. I also stopped using anything tested on animals. Staying hydrated was another important step in maintaining healthy skin. Our cells need water to complete their many, many tasks. It plumps up our skin and clears out any garbage we've put in our bodies. Getting my proper vitamins through nutritious foods also aids in clearing up the skin. Finally, I stopped using big brand soaps and chemical-heavy lotions on my face, and switched to oils. Here's a few key things I did to switch up to a more natural beauty routine:


 || Before bed every night I wash my face with olive oil. It clears away all of my make up and is super great for strengthening lashes. I put olive oil on my eyelashes to not only make them stronger, but to help them grow.


|| When I wake up, I only use natural soaps on my face and body. Most of these soaps have oils and special butters in them that help heal and soften the skin. I'm a huge fan of Nubian African Black Soap. It's wonderful for skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis. It's also all natural! Nubian Lemongrass and Tea Tree Soap is another one I love.


|| And speaking of skin conditions, a mixture of tea tree oil and olive oil, (two drops of tea tree per ounce of olive oil), works wonders on psoriasis. It also brightens skin, lightens age spots, perks up tired morning eyes, aids brittle toe nails and washes away dry skin. I use it daily on my face, scars and feet when I get out of the shower. Tea tree oil can be a little pricey, so if you're on a budget like me, I suggest Trader Joe's Spa 100% Australian Tea Tree Oil. It's awesome stuff, and doesn't smell as strong as other tea tree oils. Just use it sparingly-- a drop or two!


|| And of course, there's lotion. I have to have my lotion!  My skin is sensitive, so I'm pretty picky about body lotions. I used to use Aveeno  on my face and body after applying any oils, but after trying Trader Joe's Unscented Herbal Blend Moisturizing Cream With Aloe, I'm never going back. Not only is it lighter on the wallet, it's natural, packed with several different butters and oils, extremely hydrating, and it naturally scented. It smells so wonderful!


I'm no Ponce De Leon, and I doubt the fountain of youth will ever be found in my lifetime, but by taking care of my body- inside and out, maybe my upcoming 40's will be celebrated with less wrinkles.

You Might Also Like

0 comments